"I don't think that we're in Kansas anymore!"

Fourth Update - more to follow

The Tin-Man is out of the hospital, but not out of the woods.

Ken was released from the hospital just over 72 hours after surgery. Although the Doctor says he is doing good, he still has a lot of recuperating to do. As you can see from the following pictures, he looks great and has his sense of humor back. He has been released from the hospital, but can't leave New York until the doctor gives him the "all clear" on Monday. We are staying in the apartment across from the hospital until Monday (9/21/98) to make sure that he can "manage" on his own, before the 2 1/2 hour trip home to Connecticut.

As I am writing this, he is already working hard at recovering

I guess this is something that we are all going to get used to.

These daily updates wouldn’t be possible without one very special person and here she is:

Without her patience, help and support (and computer), we would not have been able to get through this and keep everyone informed, so we would like to say:
Thank You Kyle! (for everything!)

I would also like to apologize for any spelling errors, my spell-checker (Kyle) had to leave to get some work done in New Jersey and then she went back to Connecticut, (with a quick stop back in New York to check on the Tin-Man), but she is checking my work from afar and letting me know what should be fixed.

Ken's parents and sisters had to go back to Connecticut, so I am stuck playing "nursemaid" (wish me luck).

On to the technicalities:

  • His recovery will be long (about 6-8 weeks), but because he is fairly young (36) and in fairly good shape (although he thinks he's in Great shape), it shouldn't be too difficult.
  • He tires easily, and is "uncomfortable" at times, but it doesn't seem to be that bad.
  • He has some restrictions, but is not on any limited diet.
  • He can't lift both of his hands over his head (yet)
  • He can't tilt his head back too far (it "pulls" on his sutures)
  • He shouldn't lift anything over 5 pounds
  • Starting out, He has to walk for about 5 minutes at least 3 times a day (more if he can, but not too much)
    Then he should be walking more in about 2 weeks, eventually getting up to a couple of miles a day by the end of 6 weeks.
  • If all goes well, he should be "better than before" in time.

If there are any Post-Op "Ross Patients" reading this, then please feel free to let us know what to expect.
If there are any Pre-Op "Ross Patients" reading this, Ken would be more than happy to let you know personally what to expect.
Lord knows, he will have plenty of "free-time" on his hands to correspond.

Eventually, (probably within the next 2 weeks) we will have a chat-room on this web-site for anyone interested in asking questions or finding out how he's doing.

Dr. Stelzer is an extremely personable doctor with an exceptional "bedside manner". He went "above and beyond" the call of duty, explaining everything to us, and making us feel comfortable. He was always checking in on Ken, and took the time to answer any and all questions that we had. (Even if we asked the same question 20 times).

Now to more fun stuff:
Here is a picture of Ken's "favorite" nurse. (Natasha)
(No offense to any of the other nurses, but she's the one who got him ready to be discharged from the hospital).

After Ken got the "word" that he was being discharged, he changed his clothes (I don't know why, I thought the "johnny coat" was a great fashion statement!), and posed for this:

Ken's Dad (who celebrated his 80th Birthday on Friday, 9/18/98), and his sister Linda were there to "bust him out".

Happy 80th Birthday Dad!

Please keep checking back, because I promise that there WILL be more!

More pictures will be on this site next week

Stay tuned for more...

email Ken: Ken@KensKollectibles.com